Saturday, October 8, 2011

Botany

Sometimes I pick dandelions. Sometimes, I leave them places for somebody to discover and be delighted by. Sometimes I give them away. Sometimes I keep them on the dash of my car....right next to my Dalek air freshener/navigation thing. Just recently, I've become increasingly committed to the  idea that dandelions are my favorite flower....this musement was the result of  somebody telling me that nobody cared if I picked them because they are weeds. Rather than pick a fight in my free time, I went off slightly indignant and significantly smug in my assurance that dandelions are indeed NOT weeds. Weeds are categorized as such because they are not wanted. Botanically speaking, a weed could be any plant at all, so long as SOMEBODY doesn't want them. I know, because the internet said so. Now I'm saying it on the internet, so it's extra true. Don't tell me that dandelions are weeds unless you have a genuine desire to cross blades with me. I won't believe you, and will quite likely make a significant fuss. At any rate, I have a point.

 I love dandelions because they're the underdog of the world of flora. I love them because they are one of the first signs of spring after long winter days, and one of the last vestiges of fall. For that I love their tenacity. I love that they thrive on little to no sustenance. They transform completely, they are prolific, and they're a  cheery yellow color. They don't need to be coddled, they don't have thorns, and they thrive in the face of direct opposition- all kinds of it. Herbicides, pre-emergent, lawn mowers, asparagus knives, and the unappreciative public in general. Why is it that rose bushes get so much attention? They have to be pruned, dusted, sprayed, irrigated, covered, and for all that, they still scratch people! Also they taste terrible. They smell nice and look pretty, though. Now don't get me wrong- if you've got somebody bringing you roses you officially have my envy. They're beautiful flowers and they have the fortunate family trait of being related to apples, so...that's good. Just so that it's been said, you should never, EVER eat florist roses, or roses that are chemically treated, or may have been chemically treated. So....organic's the way to go? Anyhow, just for the record, dandelions are actually consumable and are not uncommonly used for homeopathic whatnots....the chemical warning stands, though.

The history nerd in me is tempted to compare dandelions to Alexander the Great, and leave roses to signify Caligula, or Nero, or some overly oppulent, somewhat inept Roman ruler....like Commodus. For all that..I know that I personally am minded of a more significant comparison. As a Christian, I'm well aware that I tend to be a rose- concerned with appearances and wanting special treatment, but ultimately retaining (in  my mind) the right to scratch and prick at those who get too close. I want to be a dandelion. Content to be nothing, willing to be used for the benefit of others, prolific in the sharing of the love I've been given, and willing to be completely transformed for that purpose. That's all.

                                   "Be content to be nothing, for that is what you are."
                                                    -Oswald Chambers

                    "Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as true strength."
                                                           -DeSales

No comments:

Post a Comment